Its a real situation! It doesn't matter if you had a vaginal birth with no meds, a vaginal birth with meds, vaginal birth with sutures, a vaginal birth without sutures or a c-section. The recovery for all can be a pretty grim experience. There's the peri bottle, sanitary pads, cooling pads, breast pads...I mean seriously you begin to feel like one big nasty RAG sometimes! However, you can make the process a little more pleasant by preparing yourself a postpartum basket filled with items that you will need after you deliver. This basket of "goodies" can remain in the bathroom so that they are easily accessible. While this does not ease the pain, it can give you a little less to think about because I am sure you have plenty.
I was inspired to create my own postpartum basket after I found a canadian company (Postpartum Queen) that sell a box already prepared with everything you need plus some extras! Because at the time they were not shipping to the US yet, I decided to get started and make one for myself. If you are a mama who has a planned c-section, some items may not apply to you however, you will find that most of them you could still use. Below is a list of items that I have in my Postpartum Basket:
1. Frida Baby Peri Bottle: I purchased this bottle because it makes sense. Its a lot more ergonomic than the one that is supplied at the hospital.
2. Witch Hazel: I use the witch hazel to create a "mom wash" solution for the peri bottle to encourage healing and comfort.
3. The Honey Pot Postpartum Herbal infused Vegan Pads: These sanitary pads are vegan and designed for the postpartum messy-ness! This company also have other feminine pads that are not designed for postpartum but are equally great for that time.
4. Smarty Pants Vitamins: These are a multivitamin for women. I have vitamins in the basket because it's a great reminder especially being a breastfeeding mom, it's important to keep taking vitamins.
5. St. Ives Soothing Oatmeal & Shea Butter Body Wash - This is to add to the peri bottle wash. We all know that the idea of something soothing "down there" is desired after we have given birth.
6. Earth Mama's Herbal Perineal Spray - This is a great soothing agent. After birth we all know (well some of us) how a soothing agent is much appreciated "down there" especially if you have stitches and to help with swelling.
7. Earth Mama Perineal Balm - If you have any stitches, this balm is great to to help keep the area moisturized and soothe the dryness and discomfort that may come with having stitches, especially in an undesired area. C- Section Mama's this is not needed for you however, Earth Mama has Skin and Scar balm which is perfect for c-section mamas.
8. Earth Mama Nipple Butter - This is something that is needed to have postpartum and beyond. This butter mixture is great to have as you begin breastfeeding because you may experience some dryness.
While many are swoon by the baby and your doorbell is ringing non-stop with visitors, you are actually dealing with the the residue of pregnancy. Preparing a basket for yourself or a friend is a great idea to help you as you recover. The great part about these baskets is that you can design them as you like and using the products that you prefer. I hope this has been helpful for you, check out my QUICK Peri Bottle wash listed below.
Peri Bottle Wash
1. 2 Caps of Witch Hazel
2. One drop of St. Ives Soothing Oatmeal and Shea Butter Body Wash
3. Fill the bottle with warm water.