I was sitting on my bed. One kid sound asleep and another one in time out (she loves it there!). I decided to check out Jada Pinkett Smith's series on facebook called Red Table Talks (You can find out more about it here.) and she said the words "WHAT MAKES YOU HAPPY?" It was so striking to me because as a mother, this is a hot topic in the mom community. This topic is so unequivocally piercing because as mothers we become so engulfed in your children's lives that we start steering away from those things that are fulfilling to us. It's not until you realize you have lost yourself in process that you are scrambling to find yourself again. Ask yourself, what makes you happy and find ways to incorporate that into your life. Typically the things that should make you happy are activities however, happiness can be a state of being. For some people what makes them happy are not tangible things and that's great as well. Let's get it together!
1. Make a list of things that make you happy tangibles and intangibles.
2. Contemplate how you can take one of those things and incorporate it into your weekly routine.
3. Prioritize how realistic it is to incorporate your happy into the week. Don't set yourself up for disappointment so, make sure your "happy" is something that is realistic.
4. Plan your happy time, activity or "thing." Put it on your calendar and share it with your significant other so he is aware that he is responsible for the kiddos during that time.
5. DO IT! You must execute, don't delay and don't wait. Too often, as mamas we delay those things that make us happy.
Going into this Spring season, it is a great time to uproot new ways of being. A new set of goals and expectations for yourself is the perfect way to jumpstart feeling like yourself again. As a mom of many kids, I had once found myself in the midst of forgetting to do the things that filled me up with joy. This is the story of many of us. Remember these things do not have to be huge and costly. Make your list today and add happy back into your routine, you deserve it!